Q. Do I need an associate's degree before I transfer?

A. Although an associate's degree will place you in a more favorable light, an associate's degree is not required for transfer if the following criteria have been met:

1. Your high school transcript includes passing grades in college preparatory level courses in:

  • Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
  • 4 units of English
  • 2 laboratory sciences (usually Biology and Chemistry)
  • 2 years of a foreign language

2. You have earned 24-30 transferable credits at CCRI and your grade point average (GPA) is 2.4 or higher.

Q. What grade do I have to earn in a course for it to transfer? Will a "D" transfer?

A. Grades of "C" or higher are required for transfer. However, some schools may accept "C-" or "D" as elective credit only. If you are transferring among CCRI, RIC, and URI, a "D" can transfer for elective credit but specified prerequisite courses may require a "C" or better.

Q. What GPA do I need to transfer?

A. Generally, a 2.5 grade point average is required for transfer. However, some programs are competitive, and a much higher GPA may be required for these programs.

If you are transferring among CCRI, RIC and URI, a 2.4 GPA is required for admission to the college or university. The GPA required to be admitted into a specific degree program may be higher. Click here to read about specific degree programs.

Q. Will my GPA transfer?

A. No. The GPA reflects a student's performance at a particular institution. Therefore, when you transfer, you will begin another GPA which will reflect your academic performance at your new school.

Q. How will I know how many credits transferred and how the credits fit into a major?

A. When you apply for admission, you send your transcript to the college where you plan on transferring. When you finish the courses you are currently taking, you will send a final transcript to the admissions office of the transfer college. A transfer officer will evaluate your transcript and provide you with a written document that specifies the number of credits that transfer. You should be able to see how the transfer credits apply to the transfer program. It is important for you to look over this document and resolve any questions you may have with a transfer admissions officer before you register for courses at your new college.

Q. If I am enrolled at one institution, can I take courses at another institution and transfer the credits back?

A. You may take courses at one institution while attending another institution provided the following has been met:

*you meet with your advisor to confirm that your combined course load at both institutions is not unreasonable.

*you get permission from the institution where you are matriculating to be certain the course(s) you are taking at the second institution will transfer back to your degree program. Check with institutions to be certain that you
are not exceeding transferable credits allowed.

Q. When do I need to apply?

A. Colleges have various deadline dates, and you need to check with each college for its specific dates. Publications such as the College Handbook list each college's deadline dates. Please note that colleges adhere strictly to the deadlines, so don't delay in applying. Also, you can apply to most colleges online. Pay particular attention to application deadlines that may qualify you for scholarships.

Click here for a link to application deadlines at URI, RIC, or CCRI.

Q. What is the maximum number of credits I can transfer?

A. The maximum number of credits you can transfer differs with each college. However, many colleges will accept up to sixty credits, while other colleges (such as RIC) will accept up to 90 credits. Please note that although credits may transfer, you need to understand clearly how they transfer. Ideally, transfer credits will fulfill program requirements at the receiving institution.

You should be able to transfer most or all of the courses taken at CCRI in the associate's degrees designed for transfer to a baccalaureate degree if you plan carefully and if your grades are good.

Q. Are certain courses required in order to transfer?

A. If you wish to transfer before earning an associate's degree, certain courses may be required for transfer (if you did not complete the following in high school):

    Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
    Two Lab Science Courses
    Four Years of English
    Two Years of the Same Foreign Language

Before you transfer, you may want to take courses that improve your chances of being accepted into a specific program at the four-year college. Since each college or university has its own requirements, students should contact the institution to which they are planning to transfer early in their academic career to discuss courses.

Q. If courses do not transfer, what happens to them?

A. Courses you have earned will always remain part of your permanent record. Remember, courses that don't transfer into one college may transfer into another. Consult the Transfer Guide for Students to see if your courses will transfer. You may attend different colleges throughout the course of your career, and you may be able to transfer them at another institution at a later time.

Q. What are elective credits?

A. Most colleges require that students take courses from areas of their personal interest as part of the graduation requirements. These are called "elective courses." The number and kinds of courses that are acceptable is limited and vary with each school and program within each school.

Q. How are credits for prior learning evaluated and applied at the four-year school?

A. Credits for prior learning earned at one college are reassessed by the four-year school unless these credits are included in an articulation agreement. Therefore, save any documentation you have gathered in your portfolio so that you can resubmit it to the new school. AP and CLEP credits, however, transfer quite well.

Look in the Transfer Guide for Students under Prior Learning if you are transferring from and to CCRI, RIC, or URI.

Q. Can I earn more credits at CCRI after I receive an associate's degree?

A. A student can earn as many credits as he or she wishes at CCRI. However, for transfer purposes, each college has a policy on the maximum number of credits that will be accepted in transfer. Students should check the policy at the receiving institution.

Q. Will I still be eligible to receive financial aid to complete my baccalaureate degree if I transfer after earning an associate's degree or if I transfer from another college?

A. Yes. If you are eligible at your current college, you will probably be eligible if you transfer. If you are eligible for financial aid at CCRI, and you complete an associate's degree, you will probably be able to get financial aid at RIC and URI to finish your baccalaureate degree. However, financial aid determination is a complex process. Check with the Financial Aid Office to determine your eligibility, and remember to apply every year.

Q. Is there someone who can help me apply for admission?

A. Students should either contact the college or university to which they are planning to transfer or attend a transfer program or fair (held at community colleges and at baccalaureate-granting colleges and universities).

At CCRI, several transfer admissions representatives are on campus to facilitate transfer. Additionally, for students attending CCRI, counselors are available to assist you. Please note that more can be accomplished at your meeting with an advisor if you have done a preliminary screening of the application process at each school to which you wish to transfer. In this way, all of your questions can be answered without any need to return several times to complete the application process.

Q. Do I have to take the SAT exams if I am transferring?

A. SATs typically predict a high school student's success in college. Most colleges waive the SAT requirement if you have earned 24 or more credits.

Q. What can I do if a course that I think should have transferred didn't?

A. Call the Transfer Admissions Officer at the college to which you wish to transfer and ask for clarification regarding the reason the course didn't transfer. Please note that courses with grades below C often do not transfer.

Students transferring among CCRI, RIC, and URI should consult the Transfer Guide for Students. If a course is listed in the guide as transferring as free elective credit or as a course equivalency, credit will be given.

Sometimes a course that is not included in the Transfer Guide for Students will transfer if the student can demonstrate that the same information or skills was gained. Hold on to syllabi's and other course materials until you have received a credit evaluation.

Q. Can credits be too old for transfer?

A. Many colleges have a limit of seven to ten years, after which students will need to petition academic departments for consideration.

However, if you are transferring among CCRI, RIC, and URI, consult the Transfer Guide for Students on admissions procedures and regulations for the particular college or university.

Go to the top of the page




Last updated March 31, 2004

  Joint Admissions Agreement

     JAA Policy
     The Student Guide
     FAQs for students
     JAA Transition Plans
     Intent to Enroll Form

  Planning to Transfer

     Common Concerns

  Advice and Advising
  RI Colleges/Universities

     About CCRI, RIC and URI
     Programs of Study
     Credit evaluation
     Financial aid/tuition/fees


     Transfer Guide
     Preparing to College
     Overview of JAA
     Elementary Ed
    (Special Education)

  News and Events
  For Faculty Advisors &   School Counselors
  Transfer Guide

For more info contact:

For specific  information about transferring to CCRI, RIC, or URI contact the admissions office directly

For general questions contact:

Academic & Student Affairs
Phyllis Harnick