2008-2009 Transfer guide FOR STUDENTS

The purpose of the Transfer Guide is to provide students, faculty and advisors at the University of Rhode Island (URI), Rhode Island College (RIC), and the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI), with the information needed to transfer efficiently among the institutions.  The material included in the guide is based upon the policy of the RI Board of Governors for Higher Education (RIBGHE) for articulation/transfer (a list of the policies related to transfer and the web addresses to access them is included as Section 5 below) and on the agreements developed among academic department chairs, or their representatives, from the three institutions.  Procedures related to transfer are included in this document; however, the guide is not a substitute for institutional catalogs, but an addition to them.  It is important that students wishing to transfer consult with transfer counselors at the institution from which they are transferring and at the college or university they want to attend.  Please be aware that while credits may transfer, the grades do not transfer.

To familiarize students with the transfer process at each of the three public institutions of higher education, the guide includes brief statements outlining the admissions processes and transfer procedures and policies.  Relevant phone numbers for each institution are listed.  A brief explanation of the information included in each section follows immediately after this introduction.  The guide consists of five major sections: general education requirements and equivalents, course equivalents, program transfer plans, Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) transition plans and transfer resources.  The program transfer plans involve blocks of courses or whole programs rather than course equivalencies.

Joint Admission Agreement (JAA): Community College of Rhode Island, University of Rhode Island, and Rhode Island College

The Community College of Rhode Island, Rhode Island College and the University of Rhode Island have entered into a formal Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) to facilitate students’ progression from the associate’s degree to the baccalaureate degree.  An introduction to the Joint Admissions Agreement and the Transition Plans, which list the required courses for each program, are included in Section 4 below.  The agreement and additional JAA information for students can be accessed at RI Transfers. For questions regarding the JAA, call or e-mail the JAA campus contacts (CCRI: 401-825-2384 or jaa@ccri.edu; RIC: 401-456-8083 or jaa@ric.edu; URI: 401-874-4076 or jaa@etal.uri.edu).

Important Information about Transfer

Transferring to CCRI
Transferring from CCRI
Transferring to URI (Kingston Campus)
Transferring to URI College of Continuing Education (Providence Center)
Transferring to RIC

Student Exchange Policy

Full-time students matriculated at URI, RIC, or CCRI may enroll for a maximum of seven credit hours of their full-time schedule per semester for study at one of the other public institutions at no additional expense.  Students will be subject to the course selection process applicable at the receiving institution.  Summer session and continuing education registrants are not covered under this policy.  See Section 5 below for a link to this policy.  Check with the Records or Enrollment Services offices of the college or university where you are matriculated for the necessary forms and the procedures to follow.


Note:  Printable sections of the Guide are available in PDF files at the bottom of this page.

Section 1: General Education Programs and Equivalents

Below is a statement of common goals for general education that are shared by URI, RIC and CCRI.  A description of each institution’s general education program is provided (followed by an alphabetical listing of general education courses and equivalent courses at CCRI, RIC and URI).

Common Goals – Different Paths

The three public institutions of higher education in Rhode Island each offer courses in general education for their students.  Each institution has a distinctive mission, and each has the responsibility to establish and maintain its own general education program with separate course requirements.  It is agreed these different paths do converge, and, therefore, many general education courses will transfer, with all three schools having the following common goals:

It is important to develop a plan for meeting the general education requirements.  Many of the general education requirements at CCRI, RIC, or URI can be satisfied at the college you currently attend.  It is a good plan to complete as many of the general education requirements as your current school will allow before you transfer.  Advisors can provide advice and suggestions of courses that meet the requirements.

This section describes the general education requirements for CCRI, URI, and RIC.  Please note that the general education requirements, and, in some instances, the courses that fulfill the requirements, may be specified by the college of the major.  Following the descriptions of the general education programs is a list of all the general education courses and their equivalencies at the other institutions.  Use the information in this section when you discuss your educational plans and select courses with an advisor.

The links below describe the general education requirements for CCRI, URI and RIC.  Please note that the general education requirements, and, in some instances, the courses that fulfill the requirements, may be specified by the college or the major.  The last link provides a list of all the general education courses and their equivalencies at the other institutions.  Use the information in this section when you discuss your educational plans and select courses with an advisor.

General Education Program at the Community College of Rhode Island
General Education Program at the University of Rhode Island
General Education Program at Rhode Island College
General Education Course Equivalency Listing

Section 2: Course Transfer Agreements

The Course Transfer Agreements section has a listing of courses alphabetically by academic area that will transfer to CCRI, RIC and URI.  For each course listed, the equivalency is given for each institution.  Courses are equivalent regardless of the direction of transfer unless otherwise marked.  College-level credit earned with an acceptable grade at one institution will transfer to another as earned credit with one or more of the following designations:

Equivalent:  Evaluated with a specific title and number as an identical course with the receiving institution.

Department Elective:  Although there is no identical course offered, the receiving institution will award department-level credit which can be used to fulfill major or minor credit requirements in the specific department.

Free Elective:  Fulfills credit hours needed for graduation but does not meet department or general education requirements.  Free elective credit may also be used in cases where a student transfers a four-credit course as equivalent to a three-credit course.  In such cases, the student will receive three equivalent credits plus one free elective credit.

General Education:  Fulfills one of the institution's general education requirements.  The symbol [GE] appears to the right of each applicable course.  The letter(s) following [GE] indicate which category or categories of general education the course meets.

Section 3: Program Transfer Plans

This section has an alphabetical listing of program transfer plans for students who wish to complete a specific associate’s degree program at CCRI and continue to baccalaureate programs at either URI or RIC.  The Program Transfer Plans map out the CCRI courses to take in order to fulfill the associate degree requirements and lists the equivalent courses at RIC and URI.  Courses that fulfill general education courses are noted by a [GE] next to the course title.  Some transfer plans list equivalents at both URI and RIC while other transfer plans apply only to CCRI and either URI or RIC.

What are program transfer plans?
The Program Transfer Plans show students how the courses in specific associate degree programs at CCRI transfer to RIC or URI as either the equivalent course, the general education requirement, or free elective credit; however, the application of these courses toward the bachelor’s degree will depend on the individual program of study.  Students who plan to continue for a bachelor’s degree should be sure to meet with an advisor and discuss which courses will help meet the associate’s degree requirements and can be applied to the bachelor’s degree.

Why should students follow a program transfer plan?
By taking the sequence of courses listed in the program transfer plan students can, in most cases, complete the associate’s degree and transfer courses toward general education, the major, or elective requirements.  Beginning at CCRI is an especially affordable and convenient way for students to get started on earning a college degree.

What are the requirements?
Students complete the associate’s degree at CCRI taking the courses listed in the program transfer plan and are required to meet any additional departmental requirements, such as the minimum G.P.A.  While at CCRI, students are encouraged to consult an advisor or transfer admission officer at URI or RIC.  Students are governed by the requirements in the URI or RIC catalog in effect for the year they matriculate.

What if students change their minds about transferring to RIC or URI?
Students are not obligated to transfer to URI or RIC.  There are advantages in transferring to RIC or URI, such as cost; however, students may decide to transfer to another institution or begin a career.

How do students get started?
Before registering for courses, students interested in a program transfer plan should drop by or call the academic advising and counseling office at any of the four CCRI campuses to make an appointment (Lincoln: 333-7160, Providence: 455-6020, Warwick: 825-2301, Newport: 851-1634).  An academic advisor can help students register for the right courses and make connections with helpful people at URI or RIC. The key to successful transfer is early and frequent contact with an academic advisor.

Please note: the courses listed with the symbol “” are examples of courses meeting general education requirements in specific categories; consult Section 1 for a complete listing of general education courses. Please speak with an advisor before registering for courses, and remember that the best choice will depend on the college and program to which you are transferring.

Please note: the charts indicate the transfer value of CCRI courses at RIC or URI.  Some of the CCRI courses will transfer as equivalent courses, some as general education requirements and some as elective credits.  Consult with an advisor at CCRI and the transfer admission officer at RIC or URI in order to determine the best selection of courses

Section 4: Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans

To be in the Joint Admissions program, you must follow one of the JAA transition plans.  The Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans list the specific courses that lead to a general studies degree at CCRI and that will be applicable to specific majors at URI or RIC.  This section lists the agreements alphabetically by baccalaureate major.  An overview of the JAA is also provided.


1. What is the Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA)?

  • JAA is a program for CCRI students that lets you be conditionally accepted at RIC or URI while at CCRI  
  • Students follow a JAA Transition Plan which is the list of the courses you will take at CCRI that will transfer and be applied toward a bachelor’s degree in a specific major at URI or RIC

2. What are the benefits JAA?

  • Earn 60 credits at CCRI that apply to the specific major you choose at RIC or URI
  • Receive advising from CCRI and URI or RIC advisors
  • Register for courses with other RIC or URI students with 60 credits
  • Gain access to a tuition discount at RIC or URI
  • The application fee for RIC or URI is waived
  • Receive invitations to special programs for JAA students

3. Am I eligible to sign up for JAA?

  • JAA is a program for first time college students. That means students with transfer credits from another accredited college (with the exception of military, CLEP, AP, or other credit earned in high school) are not eligible.
  • You must be enrolled at CCRI
  • The JAA application must be signed before you earn 30 credits
  • You know the major you want and there is a Transition Plan for that major.  Go to RI Transfers (www.ribghe.org/ritransfers.htm) and click on JAA Transition Plans for the most current list of majors
  • You plan to transfer to RIC or URI
  • You declare General Studies as your major at CCRI

4. How do I sign up for JAA?

  • Make an appointment at the Advising and Counseling Office to discuss your transfer plans and goals
  • Complete and sign the application. The advisor should also sign the application.
  • Get a copy of your JAA Transition Plan
  • Get a RI Transfers bookmark so you can access JAA information online
  • Request a copy of the JAA Student Guide and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

5. What are the next steps?

  • Turn the form into Office of Enrollment Services
  • If General Studies is not your major, change your major to General Studies at the Office of Enrollment Services

6. What are the requirements to stay eligible and transition through JAA?

7. What is the Joint Admissions Award for Academic Achievement (JA-AAA)?

  • The JA-AAA is a reduction on undergraduate tuition that is based on your grade point average according to the following scale

            GPA                            Tuition Reduction
            3.0 – 3.24                                10%
            3.25 – 3.49                              20%
            3.50 or above                          30%

8. How do i qualify for the JA-AAA?

  • The discount is only available to students who have met all JAA requirements
  • Students must graduate from CCRI with a 3.0 GPA or higher to receive a tuition discount for their first year at URI or RIC
  • Students who earn and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA or higher at RIC or URI can renew this tuition reduction for a second or third year

9. Where can I get more information about JAA?

  • Go to RI Transfers (www.ribghe.org/ritransfers.htm ) and click on the links to The Student Guide, Frequently Asked Questions, and the JAA Transition Plans 
  • General questions about JAA can be sent to the CCRI JAA Coordinator at jaa@ccri.edu or call 825-2384
  • Make an appointment to discuss JAA and transfer options with an advisor in the Advising and Counseling Office.  To schedule an appointment, call:

            Lincoln             333-7160
            Newport          851-1625
            Providence      455-6063
            Warwick          825-2301

  • Contact the RIC JAA advisor by e-mail at jaa@ric.edu or by phone at 456-8083
  • Contact the URI JAA advisor by e-mail at jaa@etal.uri.edu or by phone at 874-4076

Section 5: Transfer Resources

The Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education policies related to articulation transfer, listed below, can be accessed at http://www.ribghe.org/polman.htm

Joint Admissions Agreement information for students is available at RI Transfers page.

Transfer Options for RIC and URI

Rhode Island College (RIC) and the University of Rhode Island (URI) welcome transfer students from CCRI, and offer a variety of options for transfer.  These include the following:

  1. For URI, complete 24 transferable credits with a 2.5 GPA or better. For RIC, complete 24-29 credits with a 2.25 or better, or 30 credits with a 2.0 or better
  2. Participate in the Board of Governor’s Interinstitutional Agreement (Student Exchange Policy)
  3. Enroll in the Joint Admission Agreement (JAA) program
  4. Complete the Associate Degree at CCRI with a 2.4 GPA or better.

Specific information about options 3 and 4 are included in this Transfer Guide.  For information about options 1 and 2 at URI, please visit www.uri.edu/admission.  For information about options 1 and 2 at RIC, email transfer@ric.edu.

Planning Sheet (110 kb)

Use the planning sheet to record the courses you have taken and those that you need to take to complete your program.  Refer to the listings in the Transfer Guide and record how your course selections will transfer.  Print out the planning sheet and take it with you when you meet with an advisor will help you to use the advising time efficiently.

NOTE: If you would like to download each section of the transfer guide to your computer you may do so by clicking on the files listed below.

Introduction (83 kb)
General Education Programs (326 kb)
Course Transfer Agreements (237 kb)
Program Transfer Plans (445 kb)
Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans (356 kb)
Planning Sheet (110 kb)


Application Process

Call the Admissions Office at the campus to which you plan to transfer and request an application and catalog.

Admissions and Records Offices:        Lincoln      Providence     Warwick          Newport
                                                         825-2003    455-6060     825-2003        825-2003

The Office of Enrollment Services begins processing applications for programs which begin in the spring (January) semester, summer (May) session and fall (September) semester on September 1 prior to the date of intended entry.  A cutoff date may be imposed in many of the career programs due to the large number of applications. Most career and technical programs are highly competitive and accept students only for the fall semester; early applications are encouraged.  The Office of Enrollment Services should be consulted for specific deadlines and program information.

To apply for admission you must submit the following:  an application form and a $20 fee; high school or general equivalency transcript; and an official college transcript if you are requesting transfer credit.  Any questions concerning the official transfer credit evaluation or the transfer admissions process should be directed to Jude Tomasino, transfer admissions officer (333-7317).

Transfer Procedures

After being accepted, you will receive an evaluation of your transfer credits.  This evaluation will tell you the number of credits accepted and provide a specific CCRI course designation for each course transferred.  Shortly following your acceptance, you will be requested to attend an orientation session where academic counselors will be on hand to assist you.
Sessions of the orientation program are held from May through August for fall enrollment and in December for spring enrollment.  This program will also give you a chance to meet other new students and to become more familiar with the CCRI’s services and facilities.

Transfer Policies

CCRI may grant up to half the required credits for a degree for previously completed work.  However, non-traditional academic work such as CLEP, Armed Services courses, and appropriate life experiences evaluated by portfolio, courses taken in the career/technical areas, and course work that is older than 10 years, are not automatically transferred, nor do they necessarily serve as prerequisites for more advanced courses.  These types of courses will be evaluated on an individual basis by the applicable academic department.

Courses in which a grade of D was received at one institution are transferable as elective credit unless earned in a required course, in which case the course must be repeated.


Students transferring from CCRI should make an appointment with a transfer counselor well in advance of their intended date of transfer. Students are strongly advised to review the information contained in this guide about transferring to RIC and URI (below), and, especially, the general education requirements sections (Section 1).  Students are also encouraged to contact the institution(s) to which you plan to transfer.  For more information and to plan a course of study, contact the Advising and Counseling Center at the appropriate campus:

Flanagan Campus                  Liston Campus                       Knight Campus               Newport Campus
Lincoln                                     Providence                                 Warwick                            Newport
333-7160                                 455-6063                                  825-2301                          851-1625

CCRI students who have completed between 24 and 30 credits with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00 may be eligible for acceptance into the Special Programs for Talent Development at the University of Rhode Island.  In addition, to be eligible, students must attend a presentation by a Talent Development recruiter and be interviewed for acceptance into the program.

Phone numbers for student services at the Community College of Rhode Island:






Admissions (Transfer)





Advising & Counseling










Career Planning





Financial Aid










Summer Session










Veterans Information






Application Process

If you are interested in enrolling at the University of Rhode Island at Kingston, your application for the fall semester should be submitted by May 1.  Applications for the spring semester should be submitted by November 1. To apply for admission, you must submit the following: an application for admission and $50 application fee; official high school transcript and general equivalency diploma (GED) scores; a personal essay; and official transcripts of all postsecondary work sent directly from each institution at which you were enrolled, whether or not you expect or desire credit for such coursework.  Detailed transfer information is available at www.uri.edu/admission/transferrequirements. For additional information not contained on the web site, please contact the Admission Office at 401/874-7100.

Transfer Procedures
Once you have been accepted to the University, the Admission Office will send your transcript to the college (see college listing below) in which you intend to enroll.  You will then receive an official evaluation of your transfer credits.  This evaluation will list total credits accepted and will designate how each course has been evaluated (i.e., URI equivalent, department elective, or free elective).  The evaluation indicates only how previous course work has transferred; your faculty advisor or dean determines how the work may, or may not, be applied toward URI requirements.  Your faculty advisor, whose name is normally included with the evaluation, will help you select appropriate courses and will assist you in planning your overall program.  Since evaluation of transfer credit is done at the college in which you intend to enroll, questions concerning transcript evaluation should be directed to the appropriate college:

College (Dean’s Office)

Phone No.

Arts and Sciences (Transfer Resource Center)


Business Administration




Human Science & Services






Environment & Life Sciences


University College (Transfer Resource Center)


Transfer Orientation and Registration

If you are accepted for the fall semester, you will have an opportunity to attend orientation during the latter part of June.  An orientation is held in late January for those entering in the spring.
While on campus, transfer students participate in small-group orientation sessions with trained group leaders.   These sessions provide an excellent opportunity to meet fellow students and URI staff, have questions answered, and become familiar with the campus environment.  Directions on how, where, and when to register are provided by mail to each admitted student.

Transfer Policies

To graduate from the University of Rhode Island, you must complete the senior year plus one-half the major credits in residence at URI.  Transfer students should pay particular attention to the fact that general education requirements, usually completed during the freshman and sophomore years, vary from one URI college to another.  You must satisfy these requirements in addition to all major requirements of the college from which the degree is sought.  The URI Undergraduate Catalog describes in full the requirements for all programs.  For information about general education requirements for each URI college, refer to Section 1: General Education.
Transfer students are expected to satisfy all high school prerequisite courses and present a cumulative college GPA of 2.5 or greater. Preference is given to transfer candidates with 24 or more transferable credits. (The only exception to the completion of high school prerequisite courses is CCRI graduates with the Associate of Arts degree.)

Students graduating from CCRI with an Associate of Arts degree and a cumulative grade point average of 2.4 or higher are guaranteed admission to the University of Rhode Island. 
Courses taken in the career/technical areas, course work that is more than ten years old, and credit for military service may not automatically be transferred nor necessarily be counted as a prerequisite for advanced course work.  Courses in which a grade of D was received are transferable only as elective credit and if earned in a required course must be repeated.
CCRI students who have completed between 24 and 30 credits with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.30  may be eligible for acceptance into the Special Programs for Talent Development at the University of Rhode Island.  Phone numbers for student services at the University of Rhode Island:



Admission (Transfer)


Financial Aid






Transfer Resource Center



Application and Transfer Process

Application to the University of Rhode Island may be made at the College of Continuing Education (CCE).  Students who transfer from the Community College of Rhode Island or Rhode Island College will be evaluated using the Transfer Guide for Students.  After acceptance, students will receive an official evaluation of transfer credits. One-half (usually 60 credits) of a four-year bachelor of arts, bachelor of general studies, or bachelor of science degree may be taken at a two-year institution.  Additional course work may transfer but will not lower the number of credits needed to complete a degree at the University of Rhode Island.

Performance-Based Admission

Performance based admission is applicable for students whose last full-time formal education occurred more than three years ago and who experienced academic problems at that time; students who did not take a college preparatory program in high school; or students who completed secondary education by earning a GED.  Regular student involvement with an academic advisor is required under this program as well as a grade point average of C or better in the first 15 credits at URI. Only applications for a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of General Studies, or Bachelor of Science are eligible for this program.

Contacting CCE
Call Admission and Academic Advising at 277-5160 and make an appointment with:
Anne Hubbard             Bachelor of General Studies
Jeff Johnson                Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science
Claudia Kerbel             Bachelor of Science (College of Human Science and Services including: Education, Human Development and Family Studies)
Engineering - Advisor available evenings only in Student Services.

Other Contact Numbers       General Information - 277-5000                    Registration -     277-5090
            Financial Aid - 277-5019                     Student Services - 277-5010


Application Process

Call the Admissions Office at RIC (456-8234) to request a catalog and an application (catalogs and applications are also available through the Advising and Counseling Centers at CCRI).  Applications are due by June 1 for the fall semester and by November 15 for the spring semester.  To apply, you must submit the following:  an application form with the $50 fee and an official transcript from all colleges/universities attended where you attempted or earned college credits, whether or not you expect or desire credit for such work.

Even though interviews are not required, they can be arranged by contacting the RIC Admissions Office.  A representative from RIC holds information sessions for prospective transfer students each semester at all four CCRI campuses.  Check the Advising and Counseling Centers at CCRI or the RIC Admissions Office for dates and times.

Transfer Procedures

At the time of acceptance, the Admissions Office will inform you of the approximate number of transfer credits you will be given.  You will receive the final credit evaluation -- listing total credits with RIC course designations -- prior to registration.  A one-day orientation program for all new transfer students is essential for making a successful transition to Rhode Island College.  At orientation you will meet with other new students, become more familiar with the RIC services and facilities, speak with a faculty advisor, and register for courses.  After you have been accepted and paid your enrollment deposit, you will receive notification of the date and time of your orientation session from the Office of Academic Support and Information Services (OASIS).  Courses taken pass/fail may be evaluated for transfer credit provided a student can offer official documentation of a grade of “C” or better in the course.

Transfer Policies

Questions concerning the official transfer credit evaluation or the transfer admissions process at Rhode Island College should be directed to the Office of Admissions at 456-8234 or transfer@ric.edu.

You may transfer up to 90 credits.  However, in order to graduate with a degree from RIC, you must complete a minimum of 120 credits; a minimum of 45 credits must be earned at RIC (a minimum of 15 credits must be in the major, 12 of which must be at the 300 or 400 level).  Credits transferred may not all apply to the fulfillment of your major, minor, or general education requirements.  Consult the appropriate section(s) of RIC’s catalog for specifics.

Courses in which a grade of D was received are transferable only as elective credit unless earned in a course in the degree program, in which case an academic department may require that the course be repeated and a higher grade earned. 

Students Who Matriculate at CCRI Prior to Fall 1994

Students who matriculated at CCRI prior to fall 1994, and who subsequently graduate from CCRI with an Associate in Arts, Associate in Science in Business Administration or Computer Science, are guaranteed admission to Rhode Island College if their cumulative grade point average is 2.4 or higher.  These students will be able to transfer all credits earned for their degrees at CCRI, but any credits earned beyond will be evaluated separately.  In addition, all general education requirements at Rhode Island College will be considered as completed by these students transferring from CCRI.

Students Who Matriculate at CCRI Beginning Fall 1994>

Beginning with students who matriculate at CCRI in the fall 1994, and thereafter, all general education requirements at Rhode Island College must be fulfilled before graduation from RIC.  Students are advised to complete as many general education courses as possible before transferring to RIC.  Students should refer to the general education Transfer Credit Guide for RIC (Section 1) for a listing of general education requirements and course equivalencies.

Phone numbers for student services at Rhode Island College:



Admissions (Transfer)




Career Development Center


Financial Aid






Summer Session




Veterans Information


RIC Students Taking Courses at CCRI or URI should be aware that, because of differences in content, writing emphasis, and credit hours, the equivalencies listed for English 161 and History 161 apply only to students transferring from CCRI and URI; students already matriculated at RIC must take these courses at Rhode Island College.

College Writing and Mathematics Requirement

  • All students are required to complete WRTG 100 Introduction to Academic Writing (ENGL 1010, 2010 or 2015) as a requirement of the General Education program.
  • Transfer students must score 480 or better on the quantitative portion of the SAT (scores must be five years old or less); pass a course equivalent to MATH 010 or 177 or higher (MATH 0500 + 0600, 1670, 1680, 1700 + 1710, 1800, 1900, 1910, 1920 or 2910); pass the RIC Mathematics Assessment Exam; or pass Math 010.










Last Updated November 18, 2009