2007-2008 transfer guide for students

The purpose of the Transfer Guide is to provide students, faculty and advisors at the University of Rhode Island (URI), Rhode Island College (RIC), and the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI), with the information needed to transfer efficiently among the institutions.  The material included in the guide is based upon the policy of the RI Board of Governors for Higher Education (RIBGHE) for articulation/transfer (a list of the policies related to transfer and the web addresses to access them is included as Section 5 below) and on the agreements developed among academic department chairs, or their representatives, from the three institutions.  Procedures related to transfer are included in this document; however, the guide is not a substitute for institutional catalogs, but an addition to them.  It is important that students wishing to transfer consult with transfer counselors at the institution from which they are transferring and at the college or university they want to attend.  Please be aware that while credits may transfer, the grades do not transfer.

To familiarize students with the transfer process at each of the three public institutions of higher education, the guide includes brief statements outlining the admissions processes and transfer procedures and policies.  Relevant phone numbers for each institution are listed.  A brief explanation of the information included in each section follows immediately after this introduction.  The guide consists of five major sections: general education requirements and equivalents, course equivalents, program transfer plans, Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) transition plans and transfer resources.  The program transfer plans involve blocks of courses or whole programs rather than course equivalencies.

Highlights of the 2006-2007 Transfer Guide

Joint Admission Agreement (JAA): Community College of Rhode Island, University of Rhode Island, and Rhode Island College

The Community College of Rhode Island, Rhode Island College, and the University of Rhode Island have entered into a formal Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) to facilitate students’ progression from the associate’s degree to the baccalaureate degree.  An introduction to the Joint Admissions Agreement and the Transition Plans, which list the required courses for each program, are included in Section 4 below.  The agreement and additional JAA information for students can be accessed at RI Transfers. For questions regarding the JAA, call or e-mail the JAA campus contacts (CCRI: 401-825-2384 or jaa@ccri.edu; RIC: 401-456-8083 or jaa@ric.edu; URI: 401-874-4076 or jaa@etal.uri.edu).

Important Information about Transfer

Transferring to CCRI
Transferring from CCRI
Transferring to URI (Kingston Campus)
Transferring to URI Collge of Continuing Education (Providence Center)
Transferring to RIC

Student Exchange Policy

Full-time students matriculated at URI, RIC, or CCRI may enroll for a maximum of seven credit hours of their full-time schedule per semester for study at one of the other public institutions at no additional expense.  Students will be subject to the course selection process applicable at the receiving institution.  Summer session and continuing education registrants are not covered under this policy.  See Section 5 below for a link to this policy.  Check with the Records or Enrollment Services offices of the college or university where you are matriculated for the necessary forms and the procedures to follow.


Section 1: General Education Programs and Equivalents

Below is a statement of common goals for general education that are shared by URI, RIC and CCRI.  A description of each instituion’s general education program is provided (followed by an alphabetical listing of general education courses and equivalent courses at CCRI, RIC and URI).

Common Goals – Different Paths

The three public institutions of higher education in Rhode Island each offer courses in general education for their students.  Each institution has a distinctive mission, and each has the responsibility to establish and maintain its own general education program with separate course requirements.  It is agreed these different paths do converge, and, therefore, many general education courses will transfer, with all three schools having the following common goals:

It is important to develop a plan for meeting the general education requirements.  Many of the general education requirements at CCRI, RIC, or URI can be satisfied at the college you currently attend.  It is a good plan to complete as many of the general education requirements before you transfer as your current school will allow.  Advisors can provide advice and suggestions of courses that meet the requirements.

This section describes the general education requirements for CCRI, URI, and RIC.  Please note that the general education requirements, and, in some instances, the courses that fulfill the requirements, may be specified by the college of the major.  Following the descriptions of the general education programs is a list of all the general education courses and their equivalencies at the other institutions.  Use the information in this section when you discuss your educational plans and select courses with an advisor.

General Education Program at the Community College of Rhode Island
General Education Program at the University of Rhode Island
General Education Program at Rhode Island College
General Education Course Equivalency Listing

Section 2: Course Transfer Agreements

The Course Transfer Agreements section has a listing of courses alphabetically by academic area that will transfer to CCRI, RIC and URI.  For each course listed, the equivalency is given for each institution.  Courses are equivalent regardless of the direction of transfer unless otherwise marked.  College-level credit earned with an acceptable grade at one institution will transfer to another as earned credit with one or more of the following designations:

Equivalent: Evaluated with a specific title and number as an identical course with the receiving institution.

Department Elective: Although there is no identical course offered, the receiving institution will award department-level credit which can be used to fulfill major or minor credit requirements in the specific department.

Free Elective: Fulfills credit hours needed for graduation but does not meet department or general education requirements.  Free elective credit may also be used in cases where a student transfers a four-credit course as equivalent to a three-credit course.  In such cases, the student will receive three equivalent credits plus one free elective credit.

General Education: Fulfills one of the institution's general education requirements. The symbol [GE] appears to the right of each applicable course. The letter(s) following [GE] indicate which category of general education the course meets.


Section 3: Program Transfer Plans

This section has an alphabetical listing of program transfer plans for students who wish to complete a specific associate’s degree program at CCRI and continue to baccalaureate programs at either URI or RIC.  The Program Transfer Plans map out the CCRI courses to take in order to fulfill the associate degree requirements and lists the equivalent courses at RIC and URI.  Courses that fulfill general education courses are noted by a [GE] next to the course title.  Some transfer plans list equivalents at both URI and RIC while other transfer plans apply only to CCRI and either URI or RIC.

What are program transfer plans?
The Program Transfer Plans show students how the courses in specific associate degree programs at CCRI transfer to RIC or URI as either the equivalent course, the general education requirement, or free elective credit; however, the application of these courses toward the bachelor’s degree will depend on the individual program of study.  Students who plan to continue for a bachelor’s degree should be sure to meet with an advisor and discuss which courses will help meet the associate’s degree requirements and can be applied to the bachelor’s degree.

Why should students follow a program transfer plan?
By taking the sequence of courses listed in the program transfer plan students can, in most cases, complete the associate’s degree and transfer courses toward general education, the major, or elective requirements.  Beginning at CCRI is an especially affordable and convenient way for students to get started on earning a college degree.

What are the requirements?
Students complete the associate’s degree at CCRI taking the courses listed in the program transfer plan and are required to meet any additional departmental requirements, such as the minimum G.P.A.  While at CCRI, students are encouraged to consult an advisor or transfer admission officer at URI or RIC.  Students are governed by the requirements in the URI or RIC catalog in effect for the year they matriculate.

What if students change their minds about transferring to RIC or URI?
Students are not obligated to transfer to URI or RIC. There are advantages in transferring to RIC or URI, such as cost; however, students may decide to transfer to another institution or begin a career.

How do students get started?
Before registering for courses, students interested in a program transfer plan should drop by or call the academic advising and counseling office at any of the four CCRI campuses to make an appointment (Lincoln: 333-7160, Providence: 455-6020, Warwick: 825-2301, Newport: 851-1634).  An academic advisor can help students register for the right courses and make connections with helpful people at URI or RIC. The key to successful transfer is early and frequent contact with an academic advisor.

Please note: the courses listed with the symbol “” are examples of courses meeting general education requirements in specific categories; consult Section 1 for a complete listing of general education courses. Please speak with an advisor before registering for courses, and remember that the best choice will depend on the college and program to which you are transferring.

Please note: the charts indicate the transfer value of CCRI courses at RIC or URI.  Some of the CCRI courses will transfer as equivalent courses, some as general education requirements and some as elective credits.  Consult with an advisor at CCRI and the transfer admission officer at RIC or URI in order to determine the best selection of courses

Section 4: Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans

To be in the Joint Admissions program, you must follow one of the JAA transition plans.  The Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans list the specific courses that lead to a general studies degree at CCRI and that will be applicable to specific majors at URI or RIC.  This section lists the agreements alphabetically by baccalaureate major.  An overview of the JAA is also provided.


1. What is the Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA)?

  • JAA is a program for CCRI students that lets you be conditionally accepted at RIC or URI while at CCRI  
  • Students follow a JAA Transition Plan which is the list of the courses you will take at CCRI that will transfer and be applied toward a bachelor’s degree in a specific major at URI or RIC

2. What are the benefits JAA?

  • Earn 60 credits at CCRI that apply to the specific major you choose at RIC or URI
  • Receive advising from CCRI and URI or RIC advisors
  • Register for courses with other RIC or URI students with 60 credits
  • Gain access to a tuition discount at RIC or URI
  • The application fee for RIC or URI is waived
  • Receive invitations to special programs for JAA students

3. Am I eligible to sign up for JAA?

  • You must be enrolled at CCRI
  • The JAA application must be signed before you earn 30 credits (including transfer and other earned credits)
  • You cannot use the JAA to return to the same institution (RIC or URI) where you were previously a degree student
  • You know the major you want and there is a Transition Plan for that major.  Go to RI Transfers (www.ribghe.org/ritransfers.htm) and click on JAA Transition Plans for the most current list of majors
  • You plan to transfer to RIC or URI
  • You declare General Studies as your major at CCRI

4. How do I sign up for JAA?

  • Make an appointment at the Advising and Counseling Office to discuss your transfer plans and goals
  • Complete and sign the application
  • Get a copy of your JAA Transition Plan
  • Get a RI Transfers bookmark so you can access JAA information online
  • Request a copy of the JAA Student Guide and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

5. What are the next steps?

  • Turn the form into Office of Enrollment Services
  • If General Studies is not your major, change your major to General Studies at the Office of Enrollment Services

6. What are the requirements to stay eligible and transition through JAA?

7. What is the Joint Admissions Award for Academic Achievement (JA-AAA)?

  • The JA-AAA is a reduction on undergraduate tuition that is based on your grade point average according to the following scale

            GPA                            Tuition Reduction
            3.0 – 3.24                                10%
            3.25 – 3.49                              20%
            3.50 or above                          30%

8. What is the Joint Admissions Award for Academic Achievement (JA-AAA)?

  • The discount is only available to students who have met all JAA requirements
  • Students must graduate from CCRI with a 3.0 GPA or higher to receive a tuition discount for their first year at URI or RIC
  • Students who earn and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA or higher at RIC or URI can renew this tuition reduction for a second or third year

9. Where can I get more information about JAA?

  • Go to RI Transfers (www.ribghe.org/ritransfers.htm ) and click on the links to The Student Guide, Frequently Asked Questions, and the JAA Transition Plans 
  • General questions about JAA can be sent to the CCRI JAA Coordinator at jaa@ccri.edu or call 825-2384
  • Make an appointment to discuss JAA and transfer options with an advisor in the Advising and Counseling Office.  To schedule an appointment, call:

            Lincoln             333-7160
            Newport          851-1625
            Providence      455-6063
            Warwick          825-2301

  • Contact the RIC JAA advisor by e-mail at jaa@ric.edu or by phone at 456-8083
  • Contact the URI JAA advisor by e-mail at jaa@etal.uri.edu or by phone at 874-4076


Section 5: Transfer Resources

The Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education policies related to articulation transfer, listed below, can be accessed at http://www.ribghe.org/polman.htm

Joint Admissions Agreement information for students is available at RI Transfers page.

Planning Sheet (110 kb)

Use the planning sheet to record the courses you have taken and those that you need to take to complete your program.  Refer to the listings in the Transfer Guide and record how your course selections will transfer.  Print out the planning sheet and take it with you when you meet with an advisor will help you to use the advising time efficiently.

NOTE: If you would like to download each section of the transfer guide to your computer you may do so by clicking on the files listed below:

Introduction (83 kb)
General Education Programs (194 kb)
Course Transfer Agreements (601 kb)
Program Transfer Plans (981 kb)
Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans (274 kb)
Transfer Resources (20 kb)
Planning Sheet (110 kb)



Go to the top of the page


Last updated September 26, 2007