2005-2006 transfer guide for students

The purpose of the Transfer Guide is to provide students, faculty and advisors at the University of Rhode Island (URI), Rhode Island College (RIC), and the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI), with the information needed to transfer efficiently among the institutions. The material included in the guide is based upon the policy of the RI Board of Governors for Higher Education (RIBGHE) for articulation/transfer (a list of the policies related to transfer and the web addresses to access them is included in Section 6 below) and on the agreements developed among academic department chairs, or their representatives, from the three institutions. Procedures related to transfer are included in this document; however, the guide is not a substitute for institutional catalogs, but an addition to them. It is important that students wishing to transfer consult with transfer counselors at the institution from which they are transferring and at the college or university they want to attend. Please be aware that while credits may transfer, the grades do not transfer.

To familiarize students with the transfer process at each of the three public institutions of higher education, the guide includes brief statements outlining the admissions processes and transfer procedures and policies. Relevant phone numbers for each institution are listed. A brief explanation of the information included in each section follows immediately after this introduction. The guide consists of six major sections: general education requirements and equivalents, course equivalents, program transfer plans, the dental hygiene program agreements, and Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans, and Transfer Resources. The program transfer plans and the dental hygiene program agreements involve blocks of courses or whole programs rather than course equivalencies.

Highlights of the 2005-2006 Transfer Guide

Joint Admission Agreement (JAA): Community College of Rhode Island, University of Rhode Island, and Rhode Island College

The Community College of Rhode Island, Rhode Island College, and the University of Rhode Island have entered into a formal Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) to facilitate students’ progression from the associate’s degree to the baccalaureate degree. An introduction to the Joint Admissions Agreement and the Transition Plans, which list the required courses for each program, are included in Section 5 below. The agreement and additional JAA information for students can be accessed at RI Transfers. For questions regarding the JAA, call or e-mail the JAA campus contacts (CCRI: 401-333-7303 or jaa@ccri.edu; RIC: 401-456-8003 or jaa@ric.edu; URI: 401-874-5505 or jaa@uri.edu).

Important Information about Transfer

Transferring to CCRI
Transferring from CCRI
Transferring to URI (Kingston Campus)
Transferring to URI College of Continuing Education (Providence Center)
Transferring to RIC

Student Exchange Policy

Full-time students matriculated at URI, RIC, or CCRI may enroll for a maximum of seven credit hours of their full-time schedule per semester for study at one of the other public institutions at no additional expense. Students will be subject to the course selection process applicable at the receiving institution. Summer session and continuing education registrants are not covered under this policy. See Section 6 below for a link to this policy. Check with the Records or Enrollment Services offices of the college or university where you are matriculated for the necessary forms and the procedures to follow.


Section 1: General Education Programs and Equivalents

Below is a statement of common goals for general education that are shared by URI, RIC, and CCRI. A description of each institution’s general education program is provided (followed by an alphabetical listing of general education courses and equivalent courses at CCRI, RIC and URI).

Common Goals – Different Paths

The three public institutions of higher education in Rhode Island each offer courses in general education for their students. Each institution has a distinctive mission, and each has the responsibility to establish and maintain its own general education program with separate course requirements. It is agreed these different paths do converge, and, therefore, many general education courses will transfer, with all three schools having the following common goals:

It is important to develop a plan for meeting the general education requirements. Many of the general education requirements at CCRI, RIC, or URI can be satisfied at the college you currently attend. It is a good plan to complete as many of the general education requirements as your current school will allow before you transfer. Advisors can provide advice and suggestions of courses that meet the requirements.

The links below describe the general education requirements for CCRI, URI, and RIC. Please note that the general education requirements, and, in some instances, the courses that fulfill the requirements, may be specified by the college or the major. The last link provides a list of the general education programs is a list of all the general education courses and their equivalencies at the other institutions. Use the information in this section when you discuss your educational plans and select courses with an advisor.

General Education Program at the Community College of Rhode Island
General Education Program at the University of Rhode Island
General Education Program at Rhode Island College
General Education Course Equivalency Listing

Section 2: Course Transfer Agreements

The Course Transfer Agreements section has a listing of courses alphabetically by academic area that will transfer to CCRI, RIC and URI. For each course listed, the equivalency is given for each institution. Courses are equivalent regardless of the direction of transfer unless otherwise marked. College-level credit earned with an acceptable grade at one institution will transfer to another as earned credit with one or more of the following designations:

Equivalent: Evaluated with a specific title and number as an identical course with the receiving institution.

Department Elective: Although there is no identical course offered, the receiving institution will award department-level credit which can be used to fulfill major or minor credit requirements in the specific department.

Free Elective: Fulfills credit hours needed for graduation but does not meet department or general education requirements. Free elective credit may also be used in cases where a student transfers a four-credit course as equivalent to a three-credit course. In such cases, the student will receive three equivalent credits plus one free elective credit.

General Education: Fulfills one of the institution's general education requirements. The symbol [GE] appears to the right of each applicable course. The letter(s) following [GE] indicate which category of general education the course meets.


Section 3: Program Transfer Plans

This section has an alphabetical listing of program transfer plans for students who wish to complete a specific associate’s degree program at CCRI and continue to baccalaureate programs at either URI or RIC. The Program Transfer Plans map out the CCRI courses to take in order to fulfill the associate degree requirements and lists the equivalent courses at RIC and URI. Courses that fulfill general education courses are noted by a [GE] next to the course title. Some transfer plans list equivalents at both URI and RIC while other transfer plans apply only to CCRI and either URI or RIC.

What are program transfer plans?
The Program Transfer Plans show students how the courses in specific associate degree programs at CCRI transfer to RIC or URI as either the equivalent course, the general education requirement, or free elective credit; however, the application of these courses toward the bachelor’s degree will depend on the individual program of study. Students who plan to continue for a bachelor’s degree should be sure to meet with an advisor and discuss which courses will help meet the associate’s degree requirements and can be applied to the bachelor’s degree.

Why should students follow a program transfer plan?
By taking the sequence of courses listed in the program transfer plan students can, in most cases, complete the associate’s degree and transfer courses toward general education, the major, or elective requirements. Beginning at CCRI is an especially affordable and convenient way for students to get started on earning a college degree.

What are the requirements?
Students complete the associate’s degree at CCRI taking the courses listed in the program transfer plan and are required to meet any additional departmental requirements, such as the minimum G.P.A. While at CCRI, students are encouraged to consult an advisor or transfer admissions officer at URI or RIC. Students are governed by the requirements in the URI or RIC catalog in effect for the year they matriculate at URI and RIC.

What if students change their minds about transferring to RIC or URI?
Students are not obligated to transfer to URI or RIC. There are advantages in transferring to RIC or URI, such as cost; however, students may decide to transfer to another institution or begin a career.

How do students get started?
Before registering for courses, students interested in a program transfer plan should drop by or call the academic advising and counseling office at any of the four CCRI campuses to make an appointment (Lincoln: 333-7160, Providence: 455-6020, Warwick: 825-2301, Newport: 851-1634). An academic advisor can help students register for the right courses and make connections with helpful people at URI or RIC. The key to successful transfer is early and frequent contact with an academic advisor.

Please note: the courses listed with the symbol “” are examples of courses meeting general education requirements in specific categories; consult Section 1 for a complete listing of general education courses. Please speak with an advisor before registering for courses, and remember that the best choice will depend on the college and program to which you are transferring.

Please note: the tables indicate the transfer value of CCRI courses at RIC or URI. Some of the CCRI courses will transfer as equivalent courses, some as general education requirements and some as elective credits. Consult with an advisor at CCRI and the transfer admissions officer at RIC or URI in order to determine the best selection of courses.

Section 4: Dental Hygiene Program Agreements (34 kb)

The joint agreement held between URI and CCRI with respect to Dental Hygiene is suspended as of fall 2002. Therefore, no additional students will be accepted into the Dental Hygiene joint admissions program.

Section 5: Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans

The Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans include specific courses that lead to a general studies degree at CCRI and that will be applicable to specific majors at URI or RIC. This section lists the agreements alphabetically by baccalaureate major. An overview of the JAA is also provided.


1. What is the Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA)?

The Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) is an agreement that allows you, as a CCRI student, to enroll in the JAA and be admitted conditionally to RIC or URI. By enrolling in the JAA and successfully completing all of the courses and requirements for one of the JAA Transition Plans, including earning a cumulative 2.4 Grade Point Average (GPA), you will earn 60 credits that will be applied toward the bachelor’s degree in a specified program. The JAA is a curriculum document, not a financial document; you must speak to the financial aid office at RIC or URI to get information on tuition, eligibility for in-state tuition, and financial aid. Although students already may transfer among the public institutions in a variety of ways (e.g., RIC to URI or URI to CCRI), the purpose of the JAA is to facilitate the transition from the associate’s degree at CCRI to the bachelor’s degree at either RIC or URI.

2. What are the benefits of enrolling under the Joint Admissions Agreement?

If you enroll in the JAA with RIC or URI and complete an associate’s degree at CCRI in one of the designated programs, you will:

  • Earn 60 credits that will be applied toward your baccalaureate degree program at RIC or URI.
  • Enjoy the benefits of advisement from CCRI and from RIC or URI while you are a student at CCRI.
  • Register for courses at the same time as other students at RIC or URI who have the same number of credits.
  • Be released from paying the admission application fee at URI or RIC.
  • Be invited to a special orientation and other events on the URI or RIC campus.

3. Who can participate?

Any student who enrolls at CCRI in a JAA Transition Plan can sign up to participate until 30 credits are earned. Credits are awarded on the basis of the course selections specified in the Transition Plan, so you are advised to enroll early in the JAA. Please note that residency requirements and tuition rates are established by CCRI, RIC, and URI, and you should discuss these matters with an advisor.

4. Where do I go if I have questions about the Joint Admissions Agreement?

Contact the Enrollment Services Office at any Community College of Rhode Island campus. They have the forms needed and will answer any questions regarding the Joint Admissions Agreement. After enrolling in the JAA, speak with a CCRI academic advisor about appropriate course selections. As a JAA student, you also will have access to an advisor at URI or RIC. For questions regarding the JAA, call the JAA campus contacts: at CCRI call 401-333-7303 or send an email to jaa@ccri.edu; at RIC, call 401-456-8003 or send an email to jaa@ric.edu; or at URI, call 401-874-5505 or send an email to jaa@uri.edu.

5. What steps do I take to participate?

  • Make an appointment with the JAA campus contact at CCRI by calling 401-333-7303 or by sending an email to jaa@ccri.edu for a discussion of the JAA.
  • Fill out the Joint Admissions Agreement application and return it to the CCRI Enrollment Services Office. The application will be included with the information packet you receive from CCRI upon acceptance. Copies of the application also are available from the Enrollment Services Office at each CCRI campus. Students who enroll under the agreement will receive a letter of acceptance to confirm enrollment.
  • Meet with a CCRI and a URI or RIC advisor every semester to choose courses that fulfill the requirements for the JAA Transition Plan at CCRI. To be assigned advisors, contact the JAA campus representative: at CCRI call 401-333-7303 or send an email to jaa@ccri.edu; at RIC, call 401-456-8003 or send an email to jaa@ric.edu; or at URI, call 401-874-5505 or send an email to jaa@uri.edu.
  • Follow the requirements of the JAA in order to ensure the maximum number of credits will be applied toward the bachelor’s degree.

6. What are the requirements for transitioning to RIC or URI under the Joint Admissions Agreement?

7. When should I apply for the JAA?

You can apply for the JAA at the same time that you are applying for admission to CCRI or at any time up to the point that you have earned 30 credits. Information on the JAA will be mailed to you along with CCRI’s acceptance letter. In order to guarantee that you will receive 60 credits applicable to the bachelor’s degree, you must complete the requirements of the JAA and one of the Transition Plans. Therefore, the sooner that you sign up, the greater the likelihood that you won’t accumulate excess credit not applicable to the bachelor’s degree.

Section 6: Transfer Resources

The Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education policies related to articulation transfer, listed below, can be accessed at http://www.ribghe.org/polman.htm

Joint Admissions Agreement information for students is available at RI Transfers page.

Planning Sheet (110 kb)

Use the planning sheet to record the courses you have taken and those that you need to take to complete your program. Refer to the listings in the Transfer Guide and record how your course selections will transfer. Print out the planning sheet and take it with you when you meet with an advisor. This will help you to use the advising time efficiently.

NOTE: If you would like to download each section of the transfer guide to your computer you may do so by clicking on the files listed below:

Introduction (112 kb)
General Education Programs (203 kb)
Course Transfer Agreements (264 kb)
Program Transfer Plans (386 kb)
Dental Hygiene (34 kb)
Joint Admissions Agreement (JAA) Transition Plans (360 kb)
Transfer Resources (46 kb)
Planning Sheet (110 kb)



Go to the top of the page

Last updated December 20, 2005